Monday, April 1, 2013

Ay, the beautiful ugly.

I was at work today when a small, beautiful Mockingbird was thwarting off an attack from a large black bird dark as night.  I heard my boss mutter under his breath "My God, what a beautiful bird."  I looked at him, and back at the now perched mockingbird, looking for the majesty he saw, but remained lost.  "I don't know, Mockingbirds are pretty but I like brighter birds like Cardinals or Green Herons."  He looked back at me with amusement in his eyes as he said "I was talking about that black bird.  It's so fierce.  People tend to hate them for their aggressiveness but that's the same reason I admire them.  They do what they do very well."

It was in that moment that I realized beauty is in the eye of the beholder but the most beautiful things are in the eyes of someone who is just seeing for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment